Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Catalyst

Last night, I was sitting at the computer, reading the comments Mila Kunis made to Glamour. Again.


But when people say, "I can’t lose weight", no no no, you can. Your body can do everything and anything, you just have to want to do it.
I've read the quote a few times now, and each time, I want to punch Mila in the face a little bit more. 


Maybe that's overreacting. Maybe what I'd really like to do is explain to her how that harms the public discussion about weight, health, and that overall term wellness. I don't believe that pushing your body to its limits or being skinny necessary connotes wellness, but that seems to be a popular perception. I could bitch about celebrities and misguided public health officials all day, but there are plenty of places on the internet that already doing that. 


What struck home about this particular article, for me, is the recent feeling that my body can't do everything. 


After all, if I was reading this article last night, why didn't I post last night? 


Because I was tired. Because I was tired, and because I was in pain. I wanted to lose weight, Mila. I wanted to be strong, I wanted to be well, but my body more or less quit on me. While I found Mila's comments abrasive, the friction finally gave way to a spark. I've reached the point where I want to bridge the ever-growing chasm between mind & body. Along the way, I'm going to try and span the disconnect between me & all of you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment