Thursday, September 29, 2011

Illness Update (and knitting!)

I'm still sick. Hoping to go back to work on Monday; as of yesterday, in addition to an inhaler and antibiotics, I'm also on steroids. The inhaler helps my coughs be more productive, so I guess that's good? Clearing out the lungs? 


I don't know. What I do know is that I'm starting to get very depressed about the whole situation, and it's difficult to pull myself out of it. Being home a lot has also led me to do far too much online shopping, but, on the bright side, I have pretty new make-up & clothes!


This morning I forced myself to do my hair and make-up and put on actual clothes. It makes me feel better & more energized when I know I look better. Why more energized? Well, being stuck in a house that isn't even clean just adds to my frustration. The other day I was able to clean the bathroom and vacuum part--yes, part--of the hallway before I felt dizzy, woozy, nauseated, and generally just had to lie down on the couch. Dr. Scott had a hard time explaining the dizziness/five-second black-outs, but I think it's probably related to not getting enough oxygen due to the breathing constrictions. At least, I hope that's what it is. 


One thing that helps with the crushing depression of my situation is being able to do something productive. Today, I've gotten a little cleaning done already, and I hope to do more--I've got my cousin & grandma coming over on Saturday to learn how to turn the heel on their knitted socks, so I'd like for the place to be presentable. My cousin has not been here before. But I've also been working on my own knitting, and learning some new techniques. There was a gorgeous afghan in the Fall 2011 issue of Interweave Knits that I'd been lusting over, which was perfect, since Adam started complaining about how the throw blankets we currently have will be too thin for the chilly months. Here are the pictures from the magazine, courtesy of Knitting Daily




Isn't it pretty? The colors I got to make this throw are similar to what's shown, although the green is a little deeper/more olive, and the light color has a hint of grey in it. I think it will go in the living room quite well. In fact, here's a crappy phone photo of what I've completed so far:



The double-sided-ness (totally a word!) is due to a technique called double knitting. It is actually super easy, and I'm glad to have learned it! Really, I just learned it while making my gauge swatch. 

I made a short trip to Yarn Garden to get needles for my projects, and they were super nice & helpful. I recently bought yarn (via KnitPicks, because I can't afford expensive yarn, especially for the yardage needed to make a double knitted afghan) for the first time in almost two years, so you can imagine that I haven't been spending much time in my LYS (that's Local Yarn Shop, for those of you who aren't crazy fiber ladies). 

I'm also working on some other projects, but I can't really blog them, since they're holiday gifts. I'm just hoping they all get done in time. I'm also hoping that having something to work on will keep my spirits up.

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how it looks finished! It's so cool that you make things like this. And how nice to have a hobby that won't wear you out physically too quickly. I'm so sorry you're still feeling crappy. I really hope you start feeling better quick (really though, would anyone hope that you stay sick? I sure hope not!).
    Is it weird that after semi cyber-stalking you through your blog, facebook and pintrest that I totally want to find ways to spend more time with you? haha Really though, once my move is all done with and my life is back to normal (and you're feeling better finally) I really do want to get together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling better today than yesterday! It's an improvement!

    I would love to get together sometime in the not-too-distant future! I'm hoping things are looking up for me, health-wise, but I know it takes a while to get settled in a new place. Just let me know when you're feeling back to normal, and hopefully I will be too : ) What neighborhood is your new place in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so so glad you're finally feeling better!

    My new place is all the way out in Tigard, but this move is actually just temporary. I'll be moving back to SE or maybe NE sometime in the next month or 2. I just had to get out of that house. It was like this big huge negative cloud that I called home. What a crazy thing to do!
    So, I won't really be settled all the way for a couple months, but things should be a lot calmer next week. I'm looking forward to the calm so very much haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tigard is quite out of the way, I'm sure you'll be happy to get back to SE or NE. But hey, if you had to get out of that house, you had to get out. Hopefully you've got a little more time to look at your options for housing and really find something great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place in Tigard has definitely given me the time I need to find a new place. I definitely needed to get out of that old house. Even though where I'm at in only temporary at this point, it feels a million times better then the old house. I didn't feel safe going from my own car in my own driveway to my own door. I literally had shifty eyes and paranoia every time I had to get from my car to my house. That just shouldn't be happening. I never felt safe there. Nothing particularly terrible ever happened, but I should feel safe at home so I'm glad I made the move. Even if it is a bit out of the way haha

    ReplyDelete