Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Goals Wednesday - Juice Fast

It's that time again! I'm very excited to announce that tomorrow, at long last, Adam & I are starting our juice fast. Anybody who would care to join us--or just have more juice in their life--I will be blogging more frequently throughout the fast, I've finally started updating the blog's twitter (@mersereaux), and if you're friends with me on Facebook, expect lots of status updates. You can also find me on Reboot Your Life, username is rahnia. 


Adam and I are aiming for a 10 day juice fast. I am allowing non-caffeinated tea whilst on the fast, although a strict fast is just juice and water. Speaking of no caffeine, I got sentimental and took a picture of my last pre-fast coffee this morning:


That's a tall double soy latte, if you were curious.
Sigh. This juice fast comes as I'm one star away from earning a Starbucks Gold Card! Maybe I'll stop in and get some non-caffeinated tea sometime. Or, you know, just wait until the 10 days are up.

Most of the programs on Reboot Your Life have you eat as well as blend, or do a 15 day program. I am considering doing 5 days after the actual fast of a vegan diet - just fruits, veggies, nuts and grains. But, if I'm really craving something at the end of 10 days, I'm not going to say no to myself - I'll be extremely proud if we can make it the 10 days. For some extra motivation, one of my co-workers is doing it with me - I'm making the juice and bringing it in. I'm excited to experiment with new juices, and if anybody reading this juices and has some favorite recipes, please let me know! I've seen some awesome ideas around the web, like adding coconut water to some of the juices. Sometimes Adam and I will add a little processed, store-bought juice (like Knudsen's or Martinelli's) to thin out the juice we made just a little bit. I also find that ginger root and lemon or lime is a must in almost all juices! I'm thinking of experimenting with some fresh herbs as well. 


Since it's fall, I'll be juicing a lot of squash and root vegetables. I love beets, carrots, eggplant, and almost any squash in my juice, so that's very exciting. While I already posted a picture of our produce haul over the weekend, I went to my neighborhood farmer's market today to pick up a few more things (just one bag's worth). I spent $13 and got a melon, a rutabaga, 2 lbs of grapes, a bunch of beets, and a pound of beeswax:


The cats were very interested in the produce.
Not bad, considering the other sources I looked at for beeswax would have me paying more than $13 just for a pound. A pound of beeswax from my friendly local farmer was $3. 

In other goals-related news, Adam and I start week 2 of the Couch to 5K program today! I cheated and added it to the fitness log already. I haven't taken our measurements yet this week, but we both did a weigh-in on Monday and we have both lost weight. Adam has also been using a small 3lb weight to work out his previously broken arm - he's hoping to be able to paddle next summer and possibly do some winter sports in the next few months, to say nothing of no longer embarrassing himself when trying to play basketball.

I think that just about does it -- I appreciate the support already shown for our juice fast, and your continued support will help us get through it. I'm confident we can do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment