Friday, October 21, 2011

Juice Fast: Update #1

We're just over halfway through Day 2 of the juice fast! So far, I'm feeling surprisingly great. We'll see if that continues -- some of what I've seen & read indicates that days 3-4 may be the most difficult. My partners in juicing, Adam and my co-worker (hereafter referred to as V), did not fare so well yesterday. I suspect it was a dehydration issue, as I was downing water all day and felt fine, multiple trips to the restroom due to a smallish bladder notwithstanding. 


There are certainly some logistical things to consider here. For example, juice transport. I have a couple lovely glass pitchers with lids that are great for keeping juice in the fridge--they are those squarish pitchers that fit perfectly in your refrigerator door. Unfortunately, they don't work so well for juice transport. I got juice with beets in it on the floor of the bus, and Adam reports he spilt a little in his co-worker's car. But, I realized the solution! Behold:



That lovely bluish bottle there is glass (I prefer not to use plastic, if possible) and seals at the top. I bought these to use in Christmas gifts, so you'll just have to wonder until then (don't worry, I will thoroughly wash and sterilize the bottles). If you like the bottle and want your very own, here's the link to where I purchased them:


As a bonus, these guys fit perfectly in my reusable wine bags. These are essentially your regular reusable grocery bags, only with dividers to hold wine. Yes, I have reusable wine bags (sometimes called "Booze Bags," if I take them to the liquor store). Yes, I have more than one. Yes, they were given to me, free of charge, by merchants from whom I was buying multiple bottles of wine. DON'T JUDGE. 

Moving on. While I don't always like to use plastic, I did find these lovely tumblers to use, and I know I've posted them before. But seriously, they are pretty great:



The straw makes it easy to stir up separated juice. They also sell these at Fred Meyer; V came in to work the other day and said "look what I got for juice!" and lo and behold, it was the same thing (in a different color) that I had. It's working out very well for all three of us thus far. 

When I'm at home, though, I prefer to drink the juice out of one of my fancy juice glasses:


Looks like I grabbed the one with the tiny chip in it. Oh well, I still love you, Fancy Juice Glasses. 

So, that's pretty much it so far: we're juicing along. Later today I plan on going up to the store and getting some bananas and berries and possibly more melon to make smoothies in the morning (all fruit smoothies, obviously--no yogurt or anything). I'm also thinking about getting some coconut water to add to smoothies/juice. Adam has been mixing his juice with water, to help him take in more water. 

I did have a cup of non-caffeinated tea yesterday, which is excellent when I want something warm. I also bought some Pellegrino, because sometimes I really crave carbonation. 

Tonight we're going for a run, so we'll see how our energy levels are on the juice. I've been feeling pretty good, but I haven't tried anything super active yet, so we'll have to see how it goes. Tomorrow we go back to Sauvie Island for more cheap produce! I'll post pictures of the haul and how much it cost when we get back. 

Finally, if you're interested, here is a list of all the things I've put in our juices thus far:

  • carrots
  • zucchini
  • acorn squash
  • other random squash
  • beets (and beet greens)
  • kohlrabi (and kohlrabi greens)
  • apples
  • pears
  • grapes
  • watermelon
  • pineapple
  • strawberries (I thawed them from our frozen stores we picked back in June)
  • kale
  • ginger
  • oranges
  • lemons
  • limes
  • rutabaga




No comments:

Post a Comment