Friday, October 28, 2011

Juice Fast: Update #8

Well well well, we are reaching towards the end of Day 9, people! 


Fridays tend to be a bit hectic for me - because I only work a half day, I tend to schedule all my errands and shopping on Fridays (it helps that every other Friday is a payday), so sometimes I end up feeling stressed at work in anticipation of the day ahead. Luckily, today was fairly relaxed. After work I cleaned, made more juice, went through old issues of Whole Living and cut out recipes, watched part of Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, put a rent check in the mail, and ran my out-of-house-errand - going to Every Day Wine


About ten days ago, Beth, the lovely proprietor of the fine establishment that is Every Day Wine, sent out an e-mail about the monthly wine club. For those of you are local and may be interested, I highly suggest signing up for this - there's no commitment, you pay when you pick up, and you get two bottles of wine. She usually keeps the price point well under $35. 


This is my first month actually in the club, and I've been very excited about it. But I've been avoiding going to pick it up, because there is always delicious wine there, and people bring food as well. Now that I'm nearing the end of my fast, I figured my resolve would be a little stronger. I also went well before the beginning of the Friday tasting (it started at 5). 


Well. I ended up grabbing eight bottles of wine. That is the most I've ever purchased at one time. Two for the club, three bottles of a lambrusco that was a big hit during the holidays last year, a bottle of prosecco, and two bottles of an excellent ripasso I had in that wine class a while back. All worth it, but, a little more difficult than I had anticipated. 


Adam wanted some wine with dinner. I told him not to open the wines from the club, as I wanted us to try them together (they are a tempranillo and a malbec, if you were curious). He decided to open a bottle of ripasso - an excellent choice for his small evening meal of olives and hummus with tortilla. I had to help him open it. Smell it. Listen to him taste it & describe it, talk about the interaction of flavors between the wine and the food. 


It doesn't help that I've been looking at delicious recipes all day (many of them vegan and vegetarian - I was looking for inspiration for what to eat when breaking my fast). It's been a little rough to keep my resolve. I feel great, and I'm reminding myself of what a great accomplishment it is to make it this far, and how I'd feel if I didn't make it that extra day. So I'm soldiering on. 


It's not cheating to just smell the wine, right?

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! Thanks so much for sharing. Don't you think that having a blog helps? I know I do.

    Sometimes, just smelling food is good for me cause I think if I ate it I would get sick at this point. Stay strong and post about how you do breaking the fast.

    You can see my blog at www.skinny-vic.blogspot.com. I love to have readers. It keeps me motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following your blog as well : )

    I absolutely agree, having a blog helps! I've also been Facebooking and tweeting the whole experience - having this online community who is encouraging and supporting has made all the difference.

    It's kind of crazy to think that I'll be breaking my fast tomorrow, but I plan on posting about that experience, as well as some of the long-term changes my husband and I are going to try to bring to the household. We've been slowly reforming our eating habits over the past 2 1/2 years, but we had backslid a tiny bit, and this Reboot is meant to springload us back into progress!

    ReplyDelete